Opening the gate on history
They made for an imposing entrance to the University of Melbourne, where they had stood in Grattan Street since 1876. But soon after the photograph below was taken in 1957, the large gates and pillars were dismantled and removed. The gates from what was then Gate 6 (now known as Gate 10) were relocated to near the Botany School. The Gothic-inspired pillars were designed by the architects Reed and Barnes. Joseph Reed designed several significant campus buildings, including the old Wilson Hall, which was destroyed by fire in 1952. Reed also designed the Melbourne Town Hall, the original State Library, Trades Hall, the Royal Exhibition Building, Ormond College, Rippon Lea House, and a great number of churches.
For more on the University’s history visit http://our-history.unimelb.edu.au/